Aikido "The Way of Harmony of Spirit", is a Japanese system of self-defence created by Morihei Ueshiba (1883 - 1969)
To those unfamiliar with this gentle, non-aggressive Martial Art, Aikido teaches the principle of yielding, that the softest things can overcome the hardest, that while it is difficult to turn back a stream of water it is possible to lead it elsewhere. If attacked, the Aikido practitioner would not try to stop a punch by blocking it but would instead step aside and divert the attackers energy, leading them to the ground.
By its very nature, Aikido is suitable for men, women and children of all ages as it does not rely on physical strength for its effectiveness. Through regular training, students learn to harness their inner strength to overcome others who may be physically much stronger. A student learns to do this by harmonising with his or her training partner. Aikido differs from most other Martial Arts in that it does not teach attack.
There are no fighting competitions, only demonstrations, in which technique and form may be judged.
It is not for correcting others; it is for correcting your own mind.
This is Aikido. This is the mission of Aikido and should be your mission."
What's in it for you?
We provide a safe, family friendly training environment with experienced and conscientious instructors
- Body Awareness & Coordination
- Improve balance & posture
- Increased Strength & Flexibility
- Cardiovascular endurance & Stamina
- Improve Muscle tone & breathing efficiency
- Learn to fall safely
- Sress Relief & Relaxation
- Mindfulness & Emotional Balance
- Self Discipline & Personal Growth
- Conflict Resolution & Communication Skills
- Boosted Confidence & Self Empowerment